Eat, Pray, Love.

Friday 22 October 2010
A book to love.
Like most women I loved... correction, love the book. Most women are told to read it when they are going through something. A breakup perhaps or a failed job or even just a rut in their lives. I know whenever I’m having a bad patch I think back to Eat, Pray, Love and try to remember how Liz got through it. Obviously you cannot jet off to India! But finding a great Italian place like Bella (see here for review) or having a local Yoga session with my local guru can substitute.

A 32 year old Elizabeth Gilbert had a home, a husband, and a successful career as a writer. However, she was trapped in her marriage and often spent the night crying on her bathroom floor begging for God to show her the way. After the divorce she decides to take the year off to travel to find her balance.

She spent four months in Italy discovering pleasure in food (Eat). She spent four months in India, finding her spirituality (Pray). She ended the year in Bali, Indonesia, looking for "balance" of the two and found love in the form of a dashing older Brazilian (Love).

After a lot of bad reviews and the “its too long” comment I finally made it to the big screen. I must admit I went in there with the ‘Lets just get this over with’ attitude. I actually thought it was lovely. Even though I’m not a huge fan of Julia Roberts fat fake top lip (no I’m not jealous I just loved her natural!), I found the movie calming and inspiring.

My favourite part of the book was also the Italy bit. I looved how she went from restaurant to restaurant displaying her view into words and laid them down in her book so I could swim in those little black Italian sentences. Every meal, every cobblestone, every shred of old roman wallpaper was clarified into luxurious plush Italian romance. Hell, I want to go to Italy! But in the film it was a little thin to say the least. (Thin and Italy... Don’t mix)

As always with books-turned-films they left out a lot of intricate details which I believe could have added a splash more charm to the film. I struggled to connect with the characters as deeply as I did with the book characters. Oh well. It was pretty. I still loved the book and the movie will be great for a little rainy day snuggle.

Xoxo

PS. "L'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle. The love that moves the sun and the other stars."
 —  Elizabeth Gilbert *sigh

Italy, I want more.


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top