Slumdog Millionaire

Sunday 15 March 2009
  • Genre: Drama
  • Directors: Danny Boyle, Loveleen Tandan
  • Cast: Amil Kapoor, Anil Kapoor, Azharudin Mohammed Ismail, Dev Patel, Freida Pinto, Irrfan Khan, Madhur Mittal, Rubina Ali


  • I wasn’t sure what to expect when I decided to see Slumdog Millionaire. I assumed it would be good after it won 8 Academy Awards but in the past I have been a little disappointed after watching movies rich with award that were a little less than awesome. Not that I’m a renowned movie critic or anything, I just want to come out of the movie thinking “wow that was brilliant!” and its normally because the movie is so unique that I cant compare it to anything and wouldn’t want to.

    .Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is a street kid (or "slumdog") who appears on the popular game show ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’ Jamal surpasses his potential on the show, and the producer becomes suspicious of his knowledge of the questions. Jamal is consequently arrested and is interrogated. As the grilling proceeds, Jamal educates both his capturer and the viewers by telling his story through reminiscent flashbacks that both show the renowned poverty of Mumbai and help mould together his story and how he made his way to ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’.
    Slumdog Millionaire is a snugly woven story that has been expertly edited. The contrast between Jamal's upbringing and his chance of escaping it on the show are adeptly juxtaposed.

    Slumdog Millionaire is the kind of movie that leaves you feeling hopeful and inspired. It is beautifully shot, a peephole into India’s side by side brutality and beauty.

    I think the genre could also be ‘Romantic Drama’. A common thread in the movie is his constant search for the woman who owns his heart. Its every woman’s dream to have the love of her life go to the ends of the earth to find her. I secretly found myself constantly think “OH Jamal, please don’t give up, not yet!” and he doesn’t. I adore his determination and how he leads with his heart and not his head, something very rare and beautiful in today’s society.
    It is incredibly uplifting and inspiring and I truly felt high spirited at the end.

    I have nothing bad to say about this movie. I loved it. And I think it should have taken home more that 8 Academy Awards. It is so refreshing to have a high spirited movie steal all the awards for once. It’s said to be the feel-good movie of the decade and I strongly agree with this!

    It’s a MUST see!

    P.S. pay attention to detail and you’ll be pleasantly surprised and how the movie introduces itself to you with flickers of hidden detail.

    xoxo


    0 comments:

    Powered by Blogger.
    Back to Top