An Ode to Handholding

Wednesday 13 June 2012

My sister is getting married this weekend and I recently lost the hand I love to hold. So of course the world is throwing lots of beautiful images of paws at me. Clutching in love? Happily palm warming each other? Yes, it is the best feeling in the world.

To get it out of my system I decided to do a post. Wikipedia is too cute! She reads; "Holding hands is a form of physical intimacy involving two or more people. It may or may not be romantic. People hold each others hands, or one person takes the hand of another person for the following reasons or purposes:
in various rituals:
  • handshaking
  • in certain religious services, to pray
  • in various religious rituals
  • to express friendship or love
  • to enjoy physical intimacy (not necessarily of erotic character)
  • for emotional support
  • to guide (a child, a blind person, in darkness, etc.)
  • to urge to follow
  • to keep together (in a crowd or in darkness)
  • to help the other walk, stand or climb up
  • to dance
  • to maintain one's balance
  • to arm wrestle
  • for safety when crossing the street
  • while sky diving
  • to rescue in a dangerous situation by pulling someone to safety
  • to compare size or shape of another's hand."

I specially love my favourite poet Tyler Knott Gregson's little post on hand holding;

"Because as much as we’ve reduced the emotional impact of sex through the last few decades, we haven’t diluted the power of simply holding hands. It still holds the same weight, and the same tug of the same butterflies as it did when we were 13 and just figuring it all out."

Beautiful. Enjoy the images and having your hands warmed by your loved ones... I'm going out to buy some gloves.

Xoxo

PS. “His hand glides down my arm, folds over my hand. His fingers lace with mine, palms kissing. I can feel the fast thud of his heart through this single touch.”
Sophie Jordan, Firelight


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top