Weekend Learning's

Tuesday 3 May 2011
This is my home... Isn't she lovely!
Spending this last weekend in the bush with friends and family was joyous. I still think (*hope) that one day I will own a place in the bush. Maybe it is because I love the animals or the nature or the smells or the feeling, but I can easily say that I would rather have a holiday in the bush than by the sea. For my international followers, a “bush” holiday is when you go into the “wild” of our lands (this being game reserves and such) and you spend time learning and exploring the wonders of nature, enjoying the natural beauty that is an African Dream.

So this Weekend Learning’s is an ode to Africa and this is what I learned;

  • Do not forget your GPS when you go somewhere new...
  • I love acacia trees so much!! They are too beautiful.
  • Night Spotting is hysterical...
  • When lying in the bath listening to baboons screaming, I feel a little scared. Apparently they’ve learned how to open doors and with no fence they literally come and knock on your window! Eeeek!
  • I still like fizz-balls and if they’re full of Rooibos all the better.
  • A boma dinner in front of the camp fire with blankies and camp chairs is romantic.
  • Game driving to a lunch spot in the middle of the African plains is surreal, getting there and seeing an African storm coming is a disaster! Finding shelter in a dilapidated farm house... Priceless!
  • Poncho’s are a thing of genius.
  • Seeing rhino's made me realise what monsters poachers are... Go to STOP Rhino Poaching {here} to help!
  • Seeing a giant male Lion paw print as you’re jumping out of the Landy to bush walk kinda FREAKS you out! Especially when it is the size out my head...
  • I love African patterns, from giraffe pattern pillows to grass woven bowls to decorated calabashes, they inspire me.
  • Gin and Tonic is, and always will be, the BEST bush drink and next to a watering hole for sundowners is divine.
African glossary for you:
  • acacia trees: A tree or shrub (genus Acacia) of the pea family that bears spikes or clusters of yellow or white flowers and is frequently thorny and flat topped.
  • Night Spotting: Night game drives when a spot light is used to look for animals.
  • Rooibos: South African shrub having flat acuminate leaves and yellow flowers; leaves are aromatic when dried and used to make an herbal tea.
  • Boma: A boma is a livestock enclosure, a stockade or kind of fort, used in modern times as an enclosed area to sit and eat.
  • Game Drive: A safari. A trip into the wild to see animals in their own enviroment.
  • Poncho: A garment in a tent style, esp. a waterproof one worn as a raincoat.
  • Landy: Term of endearment for a large green Safari Land Rover.
  • Calabash: An evergreen tropical American tree (Crescentia cujete, family Bignoniaceae) that bears fruit in the form of large woody gourds.
  • Sundowners: Drinks taken at sundown.
Xoxo

PS. I love you Africa, be mine? STOP Rhino Poaching!!!!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top